Meatballs: One of the essential party foods. This recipe is easy and makes a lot of meatballs so it is ideal for large gatherings. We used Powderhaus Brewing's Schmidts and Grins Doppelbock and it turned out super tasty!
We also like to incorporate other Idaho-made ingredients when possible. For this recipe, we used MFT's Gourmet Ketchup and dang, that is good stuff! Not sure we can go back to regular ketchup after this. They also have a Root Beer BBQ glaze made with Bucksnort Root Beer. We didn't get to use it this time around but definitely will seek it out for the next batch.
- 16 oz Doppelbock
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup root beer BBQ sauce (or 1/4 cup rootbeer, 1/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds frozen cocktail meatballs
- To make these bbq meatballs, combine the doppelbock, ketchup, barbecue sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a slow cooker. Add the meatballs and stir gently to make sure they are covered with the sauce (add more beer if necessary).
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low heat for six to eight hours. Halfway through cooking, check to see if you need to add more beer.
- Serve the meatballs on a large platter with toothpicks. Place the extra sauce in a small bowl for dipping.